Shigar Valley is a captivating valley in the Gilgit-Baltistan region of Pakistan, surrounded by towering peaks and blessed with serene landscapes. Here’s a glimpse into the beauty and attractions of Shigar Valley:
- Location: Shigar Valley is located in the Skardu District of Gilgit-Baltistan. It is situated along the Shigar River and is surrounded by the Karakoram Range.
- Shigar Fort: Shigar Fort is one of the main attractions in the valley. Also known as Fong Khar, the fort has a rich history dating back to the 17th century. It has been restored and converted into a museum and boutique hotel, allowing visitors to explore its cultural and architectural heritage.
- Shigar River: The Shigar River flows through the valley, adding to its scenic beauty. The river is fed by glacial melt water from the surrounding peaks.
- Shigar Mosque: Shigar Mosque, also known as Amburiq Mosque, is a wooden mosque located in the valley. It is an architectural gem, showcasing the intricate woodwork characteristic of the region.
- Cold Desert: The nearby Shigar Cold Desert is a unique attraction. It is the world’s highest desert and offers a surreal landscape with sand dunes surrounded by snow-capped mountains.
- Upper Kachura Lake: Upper Kachura Lake, also known as Shangrila Resort, is a stunning lake surrounded by mountains. The turquoise waters of the lake reflect the beauty of the surrounding landscape.
- Lower Kachura Lake: Lower Kachura Lake, also known as Shangrila Lake, is another beautiful lake in the vicinity. The lake is surrounded by lush greenery, making it a perfect spot for relaxation and picnics.
- Deosai National Park: While not directly in Shigar Valley, Deosai National Park is relatively close and offers a unique landscape with vast plateaus, wildlife, and the Sheosar Lake. It’s accessible from Skardu, which is not far from Shigar.
- Kharmang Valley: Kharmang Valley is adjacent to Shigar Valley and is known for its orchards, terraced fields, and ancient forts. It adds to the diversity of landscapes in the region.
- Adventure Tourism: Shigar Valley is a gateway to various trekking and mountaineering adventures in the Karakoram Range. Treks to places like Askole and Concordia, leading to K2 Base Camp, often start from this region.
Shigar Valley, with its cultural heritage, stunning landscapes, and historical sites, offers a unique and enriching experience for travelers seeking a blend of nature and history in the mesmerizing setting of Gilgit-Baltistan.